Friday, 30 January 2015

Skiing on Big Bear Mountain

Oh, so you've been skiing before? I haven't. Can't be that hard, can it? I'll watch a few how-to youtube videos to get me started. 

I don't think I've ever been more upset than when a warning came from Jamie that I would die on the slopes without a ski lesson. A group of us planned to head for Big Bear Mountain for a few days of skiing and I don't know why I thought it would be so easy. Regardless, any excuse for a roadtrip! 

On the first day Lisa and I decided to go for a lesson but it was scheduled for the afternoon. We both decided to suit up in helmets to ease the early afternoon uncertainty and oh god, I was terrible. George, Hayley and Georgie were more than competent. A few of them ski-holiday regulars. I was so embarrassed to be holding them back from the halfpipes.
Some outdoor changing room attempts were going on.
Lisa was rocking the perfect 'Ski Mom' look
N.b Not taken on an industrial selfie stick contrary to popular belief 
We hopped on a standing shuttle to the slopes.
We got to the top of the beginners slope and I was nervous...
... I felt better after taking my ski fails on the chin (literally)
Pre-drinks at the Motel was the perfect way to start dinner festivities.
George threw some cowboy shapes.
We had a lovely civilised meal (aside from farting from a repeat offender)
Once dropping off our ski gear at the end of day two, our drive home was as beautiful as the one there.
George has since made us a movie trailer style montage to commemorate the trip and unfortunately it's not shareable here. We couldn't have planned the trip smoother for sure and I couldn't think of a better group of people to venture up the mountain with, listening to and belting out some Celine Dion. 

Will I ski again? Without another lesson, I'm not so sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment