Saturday, 8 November 2014

Hallowe'en in Hollywood!

This year I've been an extremely lucky girl! I found myself in LA once again. This time I was there for 3 nights and it was Hallowe'en! I had plenty of friends on my trip and we were all in agreement that we were going to do Hallowe'en big, as the Americans do.

On the 30th we bought tickets for The Dark Harbour at the Queen Mary. The Queen Mary is a retired ship that sits beautifully on the harbour at Long Beach. Construction of the The Queen Mary began in Scotland in the early 1930s so basically she's my homegirl. Originally I wan't convinced that I'd enjoy the fright night or that it would be worth the ticket price. I grew up watching horror movies (the worst at a pretty young age) and I'm not easily scared by spooks and zombies. I didn't realise how authentic these events are.
The effort put into the layout of the fairground and attractions was huge. The actors were relentless and their stage makeup was terrifying. 
The idea is that you arrive, grab a drink from the bar and maybe some nachos and enter one of the six themed mazes. Some of the mazes even take you through The Queen Mary herself. Here's some iPhone-tacular pictures...

The following day Jade and I decided to venture out on bikes to Target, in search of fake blood for our Hallowe'en costumes. Target had none and a gent at Starbucks told us that they usually sell out of Hallowe'en stuff the week before. This didn't hugely suit us. He informed us of a Halloween store nearby and we were thrilled when we pitched up our bikes and caught sights on the halloween warehouse - Spirit Halloween. They were low in stock given the date but seemed to have everything from full size skeletons to naughty nurse outfits and cute kids costumes. We bought some Hallowe'en essentials and embarked on the 40minute bike ride home; stopping at In-n-Out en route.

That evening we met at one of the guys room for a pre-drink. At 6.30pm we congregated in the lobby for some obligatory group photos then squeezed into our Limo; all 18 of us. The traffic was terrible and it took us 2 & 1/2 hours to get to Hollywood. I had to shout pretty loud for the driver to stop somewhere before I had a bathroom episode. Holding the bathroom for half an hour is not the Halloween dream. 
When we finally poured out the Limo in West Hollywood it started to rain and luckily there was a Hamburger Mary's nearby. For those of you not familiar with this joint, google it. Hamburger Mary's is pretty much a gay bar and drag institution in LA.
We stayed there for much later than we had planned and then agreed to split into two groups for two different clubs. Some of the girls and I made our way to a club called Hyde. We arrived really early and wondered if it would get busy at all but had some faith as the interior was pretty special. We thought there was no way people wouldn't come to a club this beautiful. The club got pretty packed and we danced and sipped to a mashup I can only describe as Hiphop Heaven. The evening had it's challenges too.
Waiting for the guy who got us on guestlist to sort us drinks took about a decade. Trying to convince the Hyde security guard to let us out to grab McDonalds proved a fail. McDonalds staff later serving drive-thru only posed a serious challenge however we managed to get the McDonalds security guard to take us through the drive-thru. The best challenge of all included an hour wait for a taxi and the eventual $390-odd Uber home was just what we planned. 
All in all, despite our late-night whining, we certainly had a night to remember. I don't know when I'll next have the opportunity to spend my Halloween in LA.

No comments:

Post a Comment